Coconut oil is incredible for your body inside & out! I found out about this amazing product several years ago when I was suffering from dermatitis on my face.. Little did I know I was discovering my go to cure all for problems for my body inside & out.
Coconut oil itself is a healthy fat, that is anti-bacterial & anti-fungal.. so it has the ability to fight off fungus, bacteria, & viruses.. It is also an incredible moisturizer for you skin, hair, & nails.
Here is a great image that shows some of the major benefits of using coconut oil from Coconutoil.com:
Here are some personal uses I have found it great for:
- Cooking- it has a high smoke point (for more info- click here)
- Adding to smoothies to boost flavor
- Makeup remover
- Natural deodorant (click for recipe)
- Oil Pulling – this is a new one for me & its amazing!! Check on the link for directions & benefits! Defiantly a must to add to your daily routine.
- When paired with Apple Cider Vinegar: clears up dermatitis, acne.. and other skin flare ups
- Coffee creamer (referred to by a friend)
- Helps remove scars over longterm use
- Natural misquote & bug repellent (mosquitoes are attracted to a bacteria on your skin, Coconut oil is anti-fungal & anti-bacterial!)
- When paired with Aloe vera gel: helps soothe & heal sunburns faster.
Some tips for using it:
Skin Care– I have found that it absorbs best right out of the shower on damp skin. Especially if you suffer from dry, sensitive skin.. you should pat dry (do not rub dry.. its so hard on sensitive skin!), leaving your skin a little moist, then apply. Walking around throughout your day oily can not be ideal, so I recommend doing it at night time. Give yourself time to dry out a little bit. Also- ladies it removes make up, so don’t use it on your face when your trying to wear make up. 😉
Hair Care– a friend of mine helped clear a eczema flare up on her scalp by using Apple Cider Vinegar, followed by Coconut oil & letting it sit. If you can leave it over night.. it gives it even more time to work. Note: a little goes a long ways with the coconut oil.. I learned this lesson the hard way & had to rinse my hair several times before the oiliness came out!
Internal Care– I use about 1 Tbsp for smoothies & cooking. You will learn to adjust it according to your flavor preference. I would not recommend eating it straight on a empty stomach.. another lesson I learned the hard way! They also make coconut oil supplements, which may be an easier way to get your daily dose.
As always, do your own research.. and see what works best for you! If you have any questions, or suggestion- please share in a comment!
love you. live long.
Photograph Credit: That’s Forever Photography (my personal work)